Brandon University is a public institution which is located in Manitoba, Canada. It was established in 1889 and is affiliated to Canadian University and College Conference Organizers Association. The University is a reputable school that offers lots of graduate, undergraduate, pre-professional and certificate programs. They have programs in courses like nursing, music, fine arts, environmental science, business administration, education, psychiatric nursing, and many others.
The institution has been ranked in Canada as one of the best schools for music. In 2018, they were ranked number one in the country by Maclean’s magazine because of their 12:1 student and teacher faculty ratio. Brandon has an employment rate of almost 82.3. The school has proven to have often helped its graduates acquire high paying jobs in the country. This has, as a result, made the school a great choice for foreign students.
If you want to know your professors, then BU should be on top of your list. Their class sizes are quite low. Judging from the 12:1 ratio of students and staff, you can get to know your professors better. The University has a decent and attractive welcoming environment. Whether you are in or out of the class, Brandon helps you to engage in your education.
This and many other achievements have helped to improve the school’s annual ranking among Universities in Canada and also worldwide.
Ranking of Brandon University
- Uni rank has ranked Brandon University 2437 among all the top universities worldwide.
- Maclean magazine also ranked the institution as one of the 19 primarily undergraduates universities.
- Uni rank again ranked the school as number 62 among the top universities in Canada.
- In 2018, Maclean ranked the University as number 3 in Canada for library support and also the fourth in Canada for student services.
- According to webometrics, Brandon University is number 61 among the leading universities in Canada and then 2622 among the best universities in the world.
- BU as it is fondly called is the 6th nationally for their social sciences and humanities research grants among its undergraduate counterparts.
- The University is also the 7th nationally for citations of scholarly work.
Courses at Brandon University
The school offers diverse courses to citizens and international students, which include graduate, undergraduate, certificate, and pre-professional in different disciplines. Their academic structure has several faculties which are as follows:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of education
- School of music
- Faculty of graduate studies
- Science faculty
- Faculty of health sciences
These programs include Bachelor of Education (BEd), Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), Bachelor of First Nations and Aboriginal Counseling (FNAC), Bachelor of Science (BSc), Bachelor of Music (BMus), Bachelor of Nursing (BN), Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science (BSES), and Bachelor of Science in Psychiatric Nursing (BScPN).
These programs include Masters of Rural Development, Masters in Psychiatric Nursing, Masters of Education, Masters of Music, and Masters of Science in Environmental and Life Sciences (MELS).
Brandon University has a total of 20 courses and they have duration of one year to three years. Most of their domains are in law, medicine, dentistry, journalism, pharmacy, and engineering.
Read also: How To Get Canadian Tourist/Visitor’s Visa
Brandon University offers two certificate programs which are Certificate in justice system, and Certificate in Business Administration.
Brandon University Application Process
If you want to apply to Brandon University, you will need to start the process by applying via their online application portal. The Application fee is CAD 138 and you must meet their English proficiency requirements. Their minimum requirements for undergraduate (UG) and graduate (G) programs are as follows
- TOEFL (paper-based): 550 (UG) and 567 (G)
- TOEFL (internet-based): 80 (UG) and 86 (G)
- PTE: 58 (UG) and 60 (G)
- IELTS: 6.5 (UG) and 6.5 (G)
In addition, you will need an original document of whatever is requested of you. You need health insurance and a student visa. You will also need to present a financial statement which will show how you will pay for your one-year expenses in Canada.
Expenses to study at Brandon University
The cost of living in Canada is a bit on the high and it is different for various academic programs. The credit hours associated with programs can also make a difference. Tuition fee, accommodation fee, and major expenses should be about 36000 Canadian dollar altogether.
The tuition for undergraduate students is from CAD 718 TO CAD 6,758 and for graduate students is about CAD 5400. The cost of accommodation depends on the type of room you stay in. The fee for different room types are as follows:
- McMaster Single is 9,959.05 CAD
- McMaster Super Single is 10,510.64 CAD
- Darrach Super Single is 9,007.96 CAD
- McMaster Double is 8,770.61 CAD
- Flora Cowan Double is 7,893.07 CAD
- Darrach Double is 7,595.54 CAD
- Flora Cowan Single is 9,054.76 CAD
- Flora Cowan Super Single is 9,527.80 CAD
Brandon University provides financial aids to students in the form of Canada scholarships for international students. Graduate students are offered a scholarship that requires no application. To be eligible for it, you need a minimum entrance of 2.5. As for Undergraduate students, you are eligible for :
- Board of Governors Entrance Scholarships
- Automatic-Consideration Scholarships
- Applied-For Scholarships
- AP Scholarships
- IB Scholarships
In Summary, Brandon University is one of the best schools in Canada that you can apply to. The school offers a wonderful experience in education. With the small class size, you are guaranteed of gaining a quality knowledge through which you can excel in your educational pursuit. The chances of landing a high job with a certificate from Brandon University are also high, considering the culture of the school.