The University of Guelph located in Canada can trace its origin to 1874. In that year the Canadian government acquired about 200 hectares of land to set up the school of Agriculture which was latter called Ontario Agricultural College. After that, Macdonald Institute was established in 1903 to handle subjects like Domestic arts, Home Economics, Sciences etc.
Thereafter, the Ontario Vet Institute that was founded in 1862 was moved to Guelph in 1922. In the year 1964, these three colleges were joined together to form a full fledged University, and that was how University of Guelph came into existence in the year 1964.
University of Guelph Ranking
The University of Guelph is ranked among top 20 universities in Canada and among in the world according to the QS world universities ranking. When it comes to course rankings, the university is ranked 1st in Canada and 17th in the world for Agricultural Science. Then for plant and animal science, its ranked 2nd in Canada and 49th in the world. In the field of Environment and Ecology, it’s ranked 5th in Canada and 102 in the world.
The University of Guelph has been given a 5 – star ranking in the fields of teaching, research, internationalization, employability of graduate, innovation and inclusiveness specialist criteria etc. Forbes has also ranked the University as 63 Canada best employer in the year 2017
Administration and Services
U of G is a very organized institute with high standard services. Some of the services that’s provided by the University include Health monitoring and advisory services, receiving and delivery of animals etc.
U of G manages a total of 15 research stations under the purview of Agric Research Institute of Ontario. These research stations include, Alma Agricultural Research Station, Flora Research Station etc
The administration body of the University is made up of the president, Vice President, Board of Governors, Senate etc
Other services carried out in the campus include campus community police, athletics, portico magazine, computing and communication services etc. University of Guelph has activities and services for the pleasure and learning of students.
Read also: George Brown College, Canada
Requirements for admission
U of G offers lots of programs at undergraduate, graduate levels. These includes diplomas, online degrees, masters, doctorate programs in many diciplines
Applicant from Ontario (secondary school) must have the following
- Ontario Secondary school Diploma (OSSD)
- A minimum of six 4U and/or 4M courses
- The specific subject requirement of the degree program of interest
- ENG4U ( required for all degree programs)
- For students from other area, you need to submit your grade data.
- For students who wish to transfer, you must have completed the two or three years diploma programs
- A prospective student who wishe to join University of Guelph must submit his/her credentials for review.
Master’s degree requirements
- Four years honors degree or its equivalent
- Recognized post-secondary institution
- Minimum B-average (last two years of full-time equivalent study)
Doctoral degree requirements
- Completed a bachelor’s and master’s degrees
- recognized post secondary institution
- Minimum B-average in their master’s program
- Demonstrated strong potential for research
- Two academic referees
Applicant will be expected to provide English proficiency test result if:
- your primary or first language is not English
- you have had less than four full-time secondary school or post-secondary study, demonstrating satisfactory academic progress in an English-language school system
TUITION AND OTHER EXPENSES
Canadian students (estimated expenses per year)
|full meal plan||C$5,050|
International students (estimated expenses per year)
|full meal plan||C$5,050|
|incidental fees (medical, student ass. Etc.)||C$1,278|
- Tuition fees for full time studies (Canadian citizens) ranges between C$6,571 to C$12,271 per year.
- Full-time undergraduate tuition for international students ranges between C$20,840 to C$27,014 per year
- Co-operative students pay extra C$270 dollars per semester
- The five meal plan options range in cost from C$3,895 to C$5,900 per year
- For international students, the Immigration in Canada will expect that you have sufficient money in your account to pay for one full year tuition and living expenses.
Admission period at U of G varies and depends on the course one intends to study. Generally, admission is usually opened around January and extends to December depending on the study program. We advise that you visit the university’s website @ www.uoguelph.ca to get more information on this.
If you are applying as an international student, ensure you apply at least nine months ahead of the semester to which you wish to start.
Frequently asked Questions
Q. What are the activities available for alumni in Guelph?
- All alumni are members of the University of Guelph Alumni Association (UGAA) upon graduation. The alumni card allows you access to some beneficial offers and discounted promotions
Q. What career services does the university provide for alumni?
- All alumni have access to co-operative Education and career services:
- Career development and job search counselling
- MBTI and strong interest testing and interpretation (for a fee)
- Career development and job searching workshops
- Career and job fair
- Professional school information sessions
- Educational opportunities fair
- Career service website
- Career resources
- Job posting
- Employers information session
- On-campus recruiting
Q. Where should I send documents in support of application?
- This depends on document. You can submit via email or to the mailing address provided on the website.
Q. What do you mean by conditional offer of admission ?
- Please refer to admission requirements on this article above
Q. Can I defer my acceptance of admission?
- Yes. Contact admission service for more information
Q. What program do you offer?
- U of G offers varieties of programs. Check the list of programs on the website
Q. How long does it take to finish a degree?
- 4-5 years depending on your program
Q. What student financial services do you offer?
- The university offers many student financial services which include semesterly payment, work-study program, part-time jobs, in-course bursaries, government loans and so on.
Q. How much is an application fee?
- For international students, a non-refundable application processing fee of C$70 must be submitted along with your application form. In addition, for those who are attending or have attended college or university, an extra C$70 will be charged.
So, we hope this article was helpful! If you enjoyed reading it, kindly share using the sharing buttons below so your friends can benefit.