Founded in 1887, WrexhamGlyndŵr University(WGU) is a foremost degree awarding institution in Wales, UK. The main campus of the university is in Wrexham, the largest town in the North of Wales, just close to its border with England. WrexhamGlyndŵr Universityhas two other campuses, in the towns of Northop and St Asaph, both in Wales. It also boasts of a fourth campus in London.
Formerly known as Wrexham School of Science and Art (WSSA) and then later as the North East Wales Institute of Higher Education (NEWI), the university began as a training institute for teachers and middle-level man power. It was renamed WrexhamGlyndŵr University in 2008 after it became a full degree awarding institution.
The university currently has 4 different faculties; The School of Social and Life Sciences, The School of Applied Science, Computing and Engineering, The School of Creative Arts and North Wales Business School.
The Guardian in its UK University League Tables 2017, ranked WrexhamGlyndŵr University’sSchool of Art and Design as the best place to study Art in Wales while also rankingit 12th out of all universities in the United Kingdom.
According to the Destination of Leavers Survey (DLHE), the university comes first in all of North Wales for the number of its students finding suitable job placement after graduation. The employability figure for its graduates is put at a respectable 92.1%, well above the sector average.
WrexhamGlyndŵr University runs over 150 programs and offers several undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications including doctorate degrees. All courses are offered in English but there are options (limited) to study and be assessed in Welsh.
Undergraduate Admiѕѕiоn Requirements
WrexhamGlyndŵr University considers all applications on individual merit and entry requirements vary between different courses. But undergraduate applications are generally required to adhere to the following guidelines.
- Applicants can apply through UCAS by sending clear scanned copies of their transcripts/certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prospective applicants for whom English is not a first language must demonstrate sufficient proficiency in spoken and written English. They are required to produce an IELTS test result or an equivalent, with a score of no less than 6.0 overall, and no band below 5.5.
- The university also accepts a minimum of 6/10 at Year 7 or 7.5 at Year 6 in English Language from the International Baccalaureate exams.
Post Graduate Admission
- Prospective postgraduate applicants for a master’s degree are required to have a minimum of 2:2 class in their final undergraduate degree result.
- Postgraduate students are also expected to have acquired a few years of relevant work or industrial experience.
- All applications are considered on individual merit and applicants who do not meet the minimum requirement may be accepted after an interview assessment.
- In addition, postgraduate international students who do not speak English as a first language are required to producean IELTS result with an overall score of 6.5 with no band below 6.0.
WrexhamGlyndŵr University offers avariety of postgraduate research opportunities, which allows students qualify for MPhil (Master of Philosophy) and PhD (Doctor of Philosophy).
- All doctorate degree programmesare coordinated by the university’s Research Center and applications are considered on their own academic merit and its viability within the resources available.
- Prospective applicants must possess the minimum of second class honours (2:1) degree, or preferably a master’s degree or its equivalent, from a recognized Institution of higher learning.
- Foreign students who do not speak English or Welsh as a first language are required to produce an IELTS test score of 6.5 or its equivalent.
- In addition, all applicants are required to submit the official transcripts of their undergraduate results.
The table below is a summary of the fees payable by new full-time students of WrexhamGlyndŵr University for the 2017/2018 academic year. The amount does not include supplementary fees like Field Trips or Repeat Years.
Scholarships are also available to deserving students and the university allows tuition payment to be spread out over the semester period.
|FACULTY OR PROGRAM||LOCAL (UK/EU) STUDENTS||INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS(non EU)|
|Applied Health Sciences||£9000||£11,500|
Cost of living in Wrexham, Wales;
|FOOD ( Groceries )||PRICE (British Pound)|
|Meal, inexpensive restaurant||£10.00|
|Bread (1 loaf)||£0.93|
|Chicken Breasts (1kg)||£5.56|
|ACCOMODATION ( Housing / Utilities )||PRICE (British Pound)|
|Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre||£500|
|1 min. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff Local (No Discounts or Plans)||£0.13|
|Utilities(gas, heat, electricity, garbage)||£144.44|
|Internet (60 Mbps or More, Unlimited Data, Cable)||£23.33|
|TRANSPORTATION||PRICE (British Pound)|
|Monthly public transportation ticket||£65.22|
|Gasoline (1 liter)||£1.14|
|Taxi (1 km)||£2.02|
|ENTERTAINMENT||PRICE (British Pound)|
|Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult||£23.00|
|Tennis Court Rent (1 Hour on Weekend)||£16.00|
|Cinema, International Release, 1 Seat||£9.00|
|Clothes||Price (British Pound)|
|1 Summеrdrеѕѕ in a High StrееtStоrе (Zаrа, H&M or similar rеtаilеrѕ)||£29.61|
|1 Pаir of jеаnѕ (Lеviѕ 501 оrѕimilаr)||£48.93|
WrexhamGlyndŵr University prides itself as an institution steeped in history but modern in its outlook. The university offers a blend of rigorous academic programs, side by side several extracurricular activities.
The university campus boasts of an ultramodern sports centre, a recording studio, a theatre, an art gallery and workshops for creative designs. It also has its own motor racing team, crime and computer laboratories and notably enough, a Chinese medicine clinic.
The university’s population of about 6,660 is a rich and diverse mix of local and international students united in the pursuit of knowledge and the advancement of human capacity.
An overwhelming majority of alumni describe their experience at WrexhamGlyndŵr University as rewarding and memorable.